King's Pocket-book of Providence, RI

Revisions History

Custom Search

from "King's Pocket-book of Providence, R.I." Moses King, Cambridge, Mass., 1882 Tibbitts, Shaw & Co., Providence, RI

The interesting and most important public features of the City of Providence, Rhode Island, in 1882


Copyright, 1882, by Moses King.

LADIES' SANATORY GYMNASIUM, fifth floor Butler Exchange, was opened in December, 1881, by Dr. J. P. Brooks, to promote a healthful use of gymnastic exercise among ladies and children. The complete apparatus was selected by Dr. D. A. Sargent, Prof. of Physical Training at Harvard University. The exercise for each individual is carefully prescribed, and over-exertion prevented.

LA SALLE ACADEMY, for boys, 119 Fountain St., is conducted by the Roman Catholic order of Christian Brothers, and was founded in 1872. The building occupied is a large three-story brick edifice. The school is essentially Roman Catholic; has no primary department, and is free to the boys of the parish (SS. Peter and Paul) who are qualified to enter. Average attendance about 180.


LATTER-DAY SAINTS, The re-organized Church of Jesus Christ, formed in this city in 1869, have had no regular house of worship until recently, when they hired and furnished Carroll Hall, 281 High St., in which they first held services Sunday, Sept. 24, 1882. The denomination to which this church belongs, claim a total membership of 30,000. They believe in the Bible as the word of God, and also think the the Book of Mormon as revealed to Joseph Smith is inspired. They do not hold to nor believe in the doctrine of polygamy as practised by the Mormons of Utah, and their organization is distinct from Utah Mormonism. The denomination dates from 1859, and claims to be the historical successor of the original Mormon Church, as the term 're-organized' indicates. This claim has been recognized by the United States Courts. The present headquarters of the body is Lamoille, Decatur Co., Io.; and the organization is chartered under the laws of Illinois. Membership of the Providence church is about 200.

LEGISLATURE. -- See General Assembly.

LEWANDO'S FRENCH DYE-HOUSE was established about 40 years ago by Lewando, a French-man who had been instructed in the best schools of his native country. His reputation as a practical dyer and cleanser of all grades of fabrics has never been surpassed by any one in the country. The business that he set in operation by establishing a dye-house at Watertown, Mass., has steadily developed, until to-day it is one of the largest and best known in its line; the works giving constant employment to over 100 persons. The main office has always been in Boston, but regular branch offices have been established from time to time in various cities. In 1880 one was established at Providence, R. I., which is also the successor of Dodge's Boston Dye-house. The Providence branch is at 270 West minster St., next building below Music Hall.

LIBRARIES. -- The important public libraries are those of Brown University, the Providence Athenaeum, the Providence Public Library, the Rhode Island Historical Society, the Young Men's Christian Association, the Union For Christian Work, and the Franklin Lyceum, - all of which are noticed more in detail elsewhere in this book, in their alphabetical places. The Rhode Island Medical Society, 54 North Main St., has 2,000 medical books. The aggregate number of volumes in libraries open to the public or shareholders exceeds 175,000.

There are many valuable private libraries, each having its specialty. Probably the most noteworthy is that of John Carter Brown, containing over 10,000 volumes, and being very rich in early Americana. Other notable libraries are those of John R. Bartlett, essentially a working library in the departments of geography and archaeology; the late Caleb Fiske Harris, whose collection of American poetry is perhaps the finest in the country; Sidney S. Rider, whose specialty is Rhode-Island history; Prof. A. S. Packard, jr., rich in entomological and embryological works; Royal C. Taft and Alexander Farnum, each of which is rich in the English classics. Joseph J. Cooks left a large and valuable library containing, among other curiosities, an Eliot Indian Bible and a collection of manuscript letters, written during the Revolutionary war by Gen. Washington, to Gen. Joseph Reed of Philadelphia. Several of these private libraries have been repeatedly found serviceable, by special students, in this country and in Europe, so unique are the treasures here collected. Of only two of them have catalogues been printed; namely, - of the Harris Library, pronounced by Prof. Moses Coit Tyler 'the most extensive in the world' in the department of American poetry; and of the John Carter Brown Library, the four volumes of which (but without the second edition of vol. i, the most valuable of all) brought $280 at the sale of the Menzies Library in New York in 1875. In 1878 Horatio Rogers, who also owns a noteworthy library, published, through Sidney S. Rider, a valuable book on 'Private Libraries of Providence', which describes in detail the private libraries above mentioned. This work may be read with much profit by all lovers of books.

LICENSE COMMISSIONERS license the sale of pure spirituous and intoxicating liquors. The License Commission dates from June, 1875. The liquor question is decided annually, by popular vote. At the November election, 1881, the majority for license was 391. The three commissioners are chosen by the city council, one annually, for a term of three years. Office, City Hall.

LIEDERKRANZ, THE, 51 Dorrance St., meeting twice a week, is a German musical and social society, org. in 1857. Membership, 78. Its collection of music is valued at $3,000.

'LITTLE SISTERS OF THE POOR' Home for the Aged, Slocum St., (the building was formerly the Gen. James Mansion), opened March 23, 1881, receives destitute persons of good character, of any nationality or creed, above the age of 60 years. Seven sisters of this Catholic sisterhood, under the direction of a Lady Superior, manage the institution, and, with some slight assistance from the inmates, do the domestic work. There are 45 inmates, which is as many as the building will accommodate. This charity depends wholly upon donations, any kinds of which are gladly received. Visitors admitted daily, from 11 A.M. to 5 P.M. Olneyville H. C.

LOCAL EXPRESSES. -- This is a branch of the express business carried on by wagons, and for the accommodation of places near the city not readily reached by other expresses. Many teamsters do local expressing, in addition to their other business. Books or slates are kept by these expressmen, in stores on Canal, Dyer, and adjacent streets; and, by leaving a written order, goods will be called for, and carried to the destination to which the express runs. A number of such expresses run from here to Pawtucket; and expresses also run to Lonsdale, Central Falls, Ashton, Attleboro, Plainville, River Point, Manton, E. Greenwich, E. Providence, Pawtuxet. For particulars, see Reid's Time-tables.



LOW'S GRAND OPERA HOUSE, Westminster and Union Sts., was built in 1877 as a public hall, and remodelled in 1878 into a theatre. It is constructed of brick and iron, trimmed with olive stone and white brick. The stage is 36 ft. deep and 100 ft. wide. The main entrance was formerly on Union St., but is 1882 a grand entrance was made on Westminster St. At the same time other improvements were made, including the putting-in of a gallery, which increased the seating capacity from 1,300 to 1,800; and the re-decorating of the whole interior. The house is owned by Wm. H. Low, jun., and is used by some of the leading theatrical co.'s and most prominent lecturers that visit the city.