King's Pocket-book of Providence, RI
from "King's Pocket-book of Providence, R.I." Moses King, Cambridge, Mass., 1882 Tibbitts, Shaw & Co., Providence, RI
The interesting and most important public features of the City of Providence, Rhode Island, in 1882
KING'S POCKET-BOOK OF PROVIDENCE - E
Copyright, 1882, by Moses King.
EAST SIDE is a name applied to the territory lying E. of the Prov. and Moshassuck Rivers. It rises abruptly from the river, in some places to a height of 200 ft. Brown University, Dexter Asylum, Hope Reservoir, Friends' School, Prospect Terrace, Butler Hospital, Swan-Point and North cemeteries, and many elegant private residences, are in this district. It is the oldest portion of the city. Area, 3 sq. miles.
ELEVATORS FOR PEOPLE. -- The introduction of vertical railways in buildings has already gained such a foothold in this and all other cities that few people realize how recently they were introduced. It is only ten years ago since the first passenger-elevator was made use of in Providence. This was in the Wheaton & Anthony Building, at No. 65 Westminster St. This was soon followed by one in the Woods Building, cor. of College and Main Sts. Both were built by the Whittier Machine Co. of Boston, who have since built many fine elevators for noteworthy buildings throughout the United States. In Providence, among the buildings in which are elevators made by the Whittier Co., are the Vaughan Building, Callender, McAuslan, & Troup, Equitable Insurance Co., Dyer-street Block, Daniels Building, and Woods Building.
ELKS, BENEVOLENT AND PROTECTIVE ORDER OF, Providence Lodge, No. 14, instituted in 1881, holds regular Sunday-evening meetings at its rooms, 21 Weybosset. It is a secret benevolent organization. Its membership exceeds 100, and is confined chiefly to actors and friends of the theatrical profession, in common with lodges of this order in other cities.
ELMHURST. See Female Academy of the Sacred Heart.
ELMWOOD is the local name of that part of the Ninth Ward W. of Broad St. This district, in the southern part of the city, was received from Cranston in 1868. The building formerly used as the Cranston town-clerk's office is still standing at the cor. of Potter's Av. and Greenwich St. Elmwood contains many handsome residences, several large ice-ponds, Adelaide Grove, and Roger Williams Park.
EMPLOYMENT SOCIETY, THE PROVIDENCE, was formed in 1837, chartered in 1850, to furnish employment to indigent needle-women at a fair compensation. Sewing-schools were established by its efforts, and were continued until within a few years. Orders for all kinds of needlework are taken at the rooms, 238 Westminster St.
ENGINEERS' ASSOCIATION OF RHODE ISLAND, org. in December, 1879, and incorporated in 1881, was established with a view to protect the interests of competent engineers, and has for its aim 'the better security and protection to life and property in the management and handling of steam boilers and engines'. The society discountenances strikes in toto. It has 90 members, membership being limited to stationary and marine engineers; and only persons thoroughly competent in their profession are admitted into the association. These pay a monthly fee of 50 cts. The society possesses a well-selected library of mechanical and scientific works, and holds weekly meetings at 41 Westminster St. Sec'y, Henry D. Cozens, Court House.
ENGINE MANUFACTURERS. -- See Harris-Corliss Engine Works.
ENLISTMENT OFFICE, U. S. A., 25 N. Main St., enrolls for military service able-bodied men bet. the ages of 21 and 35 years.
EQUITABLE FIRE AND MARINE INSURANCE CO. is the second largest joint-stock fire and marine insurance co. in Rhode Island, the largest being the Providence Washington, noticed elsewhere. Although the Equitable is the youngest, it is one of the most prosperous, of the joint-stock co.'s. It was org. in 1860, the president being the Hon. Thomas G. Turner, who had been governor of the State the preceeding year. The stockholders were chiefly the personal friends of the president and the first secretary, Augustus M. Turner. The original capital was $100,000; and this was increased first in 1864 to $200,000; again in 1872 to $300,000. In the latter year occurred the great Boston fire, which involved the Equitable in a loss of $305,000, although its assets were only $345,000. This was a severe test of the strength and integrity of the Co.; but the result was in every way creditable, every loss being unequivocally met and promptly paid in full. From that time its progress has been almost uninterrupted; its gross assets on Jan. 1, 1882, amounting to $468,651; while its gross liabilities, excluding its capital, were only $86,549, and its net surplus was $81,511. The Co. owns its own building, known as the Equitable Building, on the cor. of Custom-House and Weybosset Sts. It is an attractive and well constructed iron-front structure, wholly occupied by offices on the various floors, all of which are made readily accessible by a Whittier passenger-elevator. The building, besides being an ornament to the city, and providing commodious and conveniently situated offices for the Co., proves to be also a good investment. Mr. Turner was president for 15 years, until his death in 1875. His successor was Frederick W. Arnold, who had previously been the secretary for 14 years, having succeeded Mr. Turner about a year after the Co. was organized. Mr. Arnold has therefore been connected with the Co. upwards of 21 years. The sec'y is James E. Tillinghast, who was elected in 1875, after eight years' service in the employ of the Equitable.
EXCHANGE PLACE, a broad sq. (900 ft. long), extends from Washington Row to Dorrance St. At the W. end stand the City Hall and Soldiers' Monument. The Union R.R. Depot fills the N. side. Opposite are the Butler Exchange, and many wholesale houses. Engine-Station No. 1 faces the City Hall. Many military and other reviews are held in this place.
EXCURSIONS. -- During the summer season ample opportunities are afforded for visiting the various shore resorts and other attractive localities in and about the city. Excellent steamers ply at frequent intervals up and down the bay, stopping at all important points. Several of these are reached by railroads, which issue excursion-tickets. Enjoyable trips to nearer points of interest in the suburbs may be taken in open horse-carts. Newport and Block Island are within 2 and 4 hours' sail, respectively, from the city. A ride by rail of a little more than an hour brings one to Narragansett Pier, which is also reached by steamer from Newport. Mt. Hope, the ancient seat of the famous Indian chief, King Philip, may be visited by the boats of the Fall River Steam-boat Co. Rocky Point, with its mammoth dining-hall for shore dinners, lofty tower, summer theatre, groves and other attractions, is distant but an hour from the city. Other noticeable shore resorts are Oakland Beach, Buttonwood, Bullock's Point, Riverside, Silver Spring, Ocean Cottage, and Field's Point, the last mentioned elsewhere.
EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENT, City Hall, open from 9 A. M. to 4:30 P. M. The mayor transacts business from 11 A. M. to 1 P. M.
EXPRESS CHARGES. For the transportation of any article weighing not more than three hundred pounds from one place to another within the city, not exceeding one mile, 30 cts. For the transportation of any article weighing as aforesaid, more than one mile, 50 cts. For each additional article weighing as aforesaid, 15 cts. All distances shall be computed by straight lines on the map of the city; and each owner or driver having charge of such express-wagon shall at all times, when using the same, have a copy of said map in said wagon, which shall be exhibited when demanded.