King's Pocket-book of Providence, RI
from "King's Pocket-book of Providence, R.I." Moses King, Cambridge, Mass., 1882 Tibbitts, Shaw & Co., Providence, RI
The interesting and most important public features of the City of Providence, Rhode Island, in 1882
KING'S POCKET-BOOK OF PROVIDENCE - S
Copyright, 1882, by Moses King.
ST. ALOYSIUS ORPHAN ASYLUM (Roman Catholic), on Prairie Av., South Providence, is a fine brick building, erected in 1858, for orphans of both sexes. The institution is under the charge of the Sisters of Mercy, and is maintained by voluntary offerings from the various Catholic churches in the Diocese of Providence. An average of about 220 orphans is annually provided for. Visitors admitted Thursdays, from 2 to 4 P.M. Prairie Av. H. C.
ST. ELIZABETH'S HOME, Atlantic, cor. Melrose St., established in April, 1882, provides a home for women incurably sick, or convalescent. Its aim is to meet the wants of a class for whom the hospitals do not provide, and who are unable to pay for necessary care and medical attendance. Though its object is charitable, those that can are expected to pay. The Home has been established under the auspices of Grace Church Society, but the expense of its maintenance is to be shared by other Episcopal churches in the diocese.
ST. FRANCIS CEMETERY. -- See Cemeteries.
ST. FRANCIS XAVIER ACADEMY FOR YOUNG LADIES, Claverick St., near Broad, conducted by the Sisters of Mercy, is the oldest Catholic School of the kind in the State. It was established in 1851, as a private school, in the stone building, cor. of Claverick and Broad Sts. A part of the present fine school edifice was erected in 1854, but the building as it now stands was not finished until 1865. This institution was a day and boarding school until 1873, when the boarding-school was removed to St. Mary's Seminary, Bay View, East Providence. The reason for this removal was the increasing number of pupils. At present only a day-school is maintained, with an average attendance of about 125.
ST. JOHN'S CHURCH, the oldest Episcopal church in Providence, stands on North Main St., cor. of Church, the site of the previous edifice erected in 1722. The latter, in the steeple of which was hung the first church-bell in Providence, was first named King's Church, in honor of George I., but in 1794, for patriotic reasons, was changed to St. John's. A chapel adjoins the church. On the west side is a burial-ground, interesting for its antiquity. The organ is the Hook & Hastings pattern, made about 1837.
ST. JOHN'S CHURCH BURIAL-GROUND. -- See Cemeteries.
ST. JOHN'S TOTAL ABSTINENCE BENEFICIAL SOCIETY meets semi-monthly at St. John's Church. Is a branch of the Irish Catholic Benevolent Union of America. Members are entitled to a weekly sick benefit of $4.00, and on the death of a member the burial expenses are paid. Pres't, Thomas Cullen; sec'y, George F. Cottrell.
ST. MARY'S BENEVOLENT SOCIETY meets semi-monthly in St. Mary's Church, Broadway. Is a branch of the Irish Catholic Benevolent Union of America. Members are entitled to weekly sick benefits, and the society also pay the expenses of burial. Pres't, John Hanley; sec'y, John Walsh.
ST. MARY'S SEMINARY, Bay View, East Providence, about 2 1/2 miles from the city, on the eastern shore of Narragansett Bay, was opened as a boarding-school for young ladies, in 1873, by the Sisters of Mercy from Claverick St. Average number of pupils about 60.
ST. STEPHEN'S CHURCH, George St., near Brown, is a fine specimen of Gothic architecture, with rough gray stone walls, largely covered with English ivy. Important features of the interior are its stone pillars, fine stained-glass windows, and a handsome brass tablet memorial of the late Henry Waterman, D. D., a former rector. The church was consecrated in 1862, having removed in that year from what is now the Church of the Saviour. The organ was made by Hook & Hastings in 1856.
SACRED HEART, THE FEMALE ACADEMY OF THE, Smith St., opp. Elmhurst Av., incorp. 1873, is a large boarding-school conducted by ladies of the Roman-Catholic Order of the Sacred Heart. It is situated in the midst of a beautiful undulating tract of land, about 28 acres in extent, and was formerly the residence of Dr. Wm. Grosvenor, who gave to the estate the name 'Elmhurst', which is still retained. A free school connected with this institution was opened in October, 1881.
SAFE-DEPOSIT CO. -- R. I. Safe-Deposit Co., 47 Westminster, and 2 Exchange St.
SANATORY GYMNASIUM. -- See Ladies' Sanatory Gymnasium.
SANS-SOUCI GARDEN, Broadway, opp. Jackson St., is a popular place of resort during the summer. The garden, though small, is well arranged, and contains a theatre, just rebuilt (seating 1,200), in which comic operas and light comedies are given. There is a shooting-gallery, with other attractions. Flowers, fountains, rustic-work, and colored lights adorn the spot, and make it an inviting place on a summer's evening. Broadway or Mount Pleasant H. C.
SAVING-FUND AND LOAN ASSOCIATION, THE ROGER WILLIAMS, org. in 1880, is the first association started here under the system as established in Philadelphia, Cincinnati, and other cities, by societies generally called Building Associations. It has an authorized capital (to be accumulated) of $500,000, divided into 2,500 equal shares, which are issued in series, and sold in any number not exceeding twenty-five, to be paid for in monthly installments of $1 each, until the payments with earnings from interest amount to $200 per share. Then the shares being fully paid up, the money is to be withdrawn. The total accumulations from dues, interest, premiums, and fines, are loaned only to members, at six per cent interest; the security being either first mortgage or the shares themselves, - provided that the sum desired is not more than is limited by the by-laws. The loans are made at auction to shareholders offering the highest premium. No person can bid on more than $2,000. This association enables persons of small incomes to build homes, and also to derive profits from their 'deposits'. Meetings are held the second Wednesday of each month, at Lyceum Hall, 62 Westminster St. Cyrus C. Armstrong, sec'y.
SCHOOLS. -- In Providence, at the head of educational institutions, is Brown University. There are also three commercial colleges, - Scholfield's, Perry's, and Bryant & Stratton's; several English and classical schools, including Mowry & Goff's (noticed elsewhere), J. P. C. Shaw's, and the University Grammar School; Miss J. L. Abbott's school for girls, and Mrs. Fielden and Miss Chace's school for girls, and Mrs. C. M. N. Alden's kindergarten for boys and girls; and a variety of other private and semi-public schools, such as the Rhode Island School of Design, State Normal School, Rhode Island School For The Deaf, Mt. Pleasant Academy, Berlitz School of Languages, Providence Conservatory of Music, School of Elocution, La Salle Academy, St. Francis Xavier Academy, Sacred Heart Seminary, Society of Friends School, and several Roman-Catholic parochial schools. In addition to these are public-school system, regarding which some statistics are given below.
SCHOOLS (Public). -- A free public school system was inaugurated in 1800, when 4 schools-houses were opened, and attended by nearly 1,000 pupils. In 1882 there are 85 schools, with about 13,000 pupils. The city is divided into 7 school-districts, and the scholars are distributed among the various grades nearly as follows: in 11 grammar schools, 3,700; in 35 intermediate schools, 3,300; and in 38 primary schools, 5,600 pupils. Nine evening schools are maintained during the winter, with an attendence of about 2,000 scholars. The upper grade schools have separate buildings; but the primary and intermediate grades occupy, as a rule, the same building, making the number of structures in actual use 49, beside which are two or three old buildings now disused. A new edifice is now in process of completion.
The school-buildings are generally well adapted to their purposes, and some are elegant and costly. The High School and the Point-st. Grammar School are magnificent specimens of their class; and the Doyle-av., Federal-st., and Thayer-st. Grammar Schools, and a few others, are also fine architectural structures. There are 283 teachers, whose salaries range from $350 to $2,100. The average public-school course is 12 years. The management of the public schools is in the hands of a school-committee, composed of 6 members from each ward, two of whom are chosen annually by the electors of their respective wards for a term of three years. The general oversight and direction of teachers and pupils is intrusted to the sup't of public schools, and the care of the buildings to the sup't of public buildings. The total expenditure for the year ending Sept. 30, 1881, was $198,507.14 for general expenses and salaries; and $25,833.30 for schoolhouses and lands. Daniel Leach has been the sup't of public schools ever since Feb., 1855.
SEAMEN'S FRIEND SOCIETY, The Providence, was formed in 1841, to furnish religious instruction to seamen. It supports and controls the management of the Seamen's Bethel, distributes religious papers aboard vessels, and by other means accomplishes its purpose.
SEEKONK (misspelled 'Seekhouk') RIVER rises near Worcester, Mass., and enters Providence Harbor at India Point. It is known at Pawtucket as the Pawtucket River, and above the Pawtucket as the Blackstone. Where it washes the city shores, it is broad and beautiful. In the city limits it is crossed by three bridges, - Central, Washington, and the Providence, Warren, and Bristol R. R. bridge, - and is navigable to Pawtucket, 4 miles. The Brown University boat-house is on the river, near Central Bridge.
SEPTEMBER GALE. -- In 1815 occurred one of the most important events in the history of the State, - the 'Great September Gale', a terrible storm, commencing Sept. 22, and reaching the height of its fury on the 23d. Previous to the gale, the atmosphere became very hot, and the clouds settled remarkably low. As the storm increased, the water from the harbor was driven in, and rose some 10 or 12 ft. above its usual height. Many of the business sts. were flooded to a considerable depth, blockading stores and houses in the vicinity. Some of the smaller sailing-craft were thrown into the Cove - then of much larger dimensions - or forced into the streets. Great damage was done both to private and public property, though in this terrible wreck but two persons were lost. Such was the fury of the storm, that salt spray was thrown inland some 40 miles.
In 1869 occurred the second 'September Gale'. Though of much shorter duration, it was thought to be as severe as its predecessor, and, had it been prolonged, would have been equally disastrous in its results. As it was, much property was destroyed, large trees were uprooted, wharves and streets flooded, cellars and stores submerged.
SEWERAGE. -- The present system of sewerage was devised by J. Herbert Shedd, and adopted by the city in 1872. Up to the present time about 44 1/4 miles of pipe have been laid. In the Tenth Ward and a large part of the Ninth no sewers have, as yet, been introduced. The rest of the city is divided into 12 districts, named from the streets in which the principal mains are placed. On the East Side, E. of Prospect Hill, the sewage is conducted to the Seekonk River and the harbor through the Brook-st., Ives-st., and Pitman-st. sewers; the north portion is drained by the Lippitt-st. sewer, emptying into the Moshassuck River; the sewers in North and South Main Sts. empty into the Providence River. The Charles-st. sewer conducts to the Moshassuck River; the Dorrance, Pearl, Eddy and Point sts. sewers, directly to the Providence River; and a lateral or intercepting sewer, built to relieve the pressure upon the 4 last-named, empties into the harbor. The sewers range in size from 12 to 66 in. in diameter, circular construction, and from 16 x 24 to 66 x 72 oval construction. For the fiscal year 1880-81 the total cost of sewer construction was $10,913.16; and of maintenance, $16,442.35.
SHELTER, THE, 20 Olive St., (East Side) receives colored children between the ages of 3 and 12 years, who are deprived by death of one or both parents, or are exposed to evil parental influence. Respectable parents living out at service may place their children in the institution as boarders. The 'Shelter' is managed by the Prov. Ass'n for the Benefit of Colored Children, formed in 1838, which in 1839 secured a small dwelling on North Main St., and in the face of violent prejudice opened a home for the care of the two children then under its charge, and such others as might come to it. In 1849 the society had won friends enough to enable it to commence the erection of the present plain but comfortable edifice, upon land previously donated by Mrs. Maria Jenkins, and thus to meet its want of increased as well as of better accommodations. Visitors admitted daily, except Sundays. Brook-st. H. C.
SIGNAL SERVICE. -- The U. S. Government maintains no signal-station in Providence; but, by an arrangement with the War Department, storm-signals are displayed in the daytime, when required, from the 'Journal' and 'Bulletin' flagstaff. They consist of a 'danger or storm signal', -- a red flag, white centre, - used when indications are received of an approaching storm, accompanied by a wind with a velocity exceeding 20 miles an hour; and the 'cautionary or off-shore signal', - a white flag, black centre, placed over the red flag, - used when the wind is expected to blow from the land to the ocean with a velocity which would be perilous to navigation.
'SKY-HIGH' Hill is a name formerly used to designate what is now Mt. Pleasant.
SMALL-POX HOSPITAL. -- See Field's Point.
SMITH'S HILL is a steep elevation north of the Cove. It reaches its highest altitude, 80 feet, near the cor. of Smith and Carroll Sts. It commands a good view of the city. There are several fine estates upon this eminence.
SOCIALISTIC LABOR PARTY, Providence Section of the, was org'd Feb. 22, 1881. This party has a national org'n, and has for its objects, 'that the sources of life - viz., land, the means of production, public transportation and exchange - become the property of the whole people', and is also in favor of universal suffrage. The Providence section holds monthly meetings, and has a membership of about 60. Philip J. Murphy, organizer; Frank Fowler, sec'y.
SOCIETA DI UNIONE E BENEVOLENZA ITALIANA, DI PROVIDENCE, R.I., is composed of Italian residents of Providence. It was founded Jan. 8, 1881; incorporated by the General Assembly, March 30, 1882. Its object is to aid members in case of sickness or misfortune.
SOCIETY FOR THE PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS, RHODE ISLAND, org. in 1870, is a properous association, and, by its careful surveillance and punishment of offences, has done much to prevent ill-treatment and neglect to dumb animals. The Ladies' Auxiliary of this society, org. in 1872, aids the cause by various enterprises for raising funds; and has contributed to rouse an additional interest in the subject, by awarding prizes for best compositions on this and kindred subjects. Rev. Frederic Denison, sec'y and general agent.
SOCKANOSSET RESERVOIR, on Sockanosset Hill, in the town of Cranston, 6 miles from Providence, 1 mile from Pettaconset pumping-station, covers about 14 acres, and has a capacity of over 51,000,000 gallons. A brick conduit, passing through the embankment, connects the inlet and outlet chambers, independent of the reservoir. The building of this reservoir was begun May 3, 1870. Water was first introduced into the city Nov. 30, 1871. See Water-Works.
SOLDIERS' AND SAILORS' HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF RHODE ISLAND was incorp. in 1875, to collect and preserve mementos, relics, and a true history of the War of the Rebellion. All honorably discharged soldiers and sailors of the war, and their sons, are eligible to membership. Monthly meetings are held, at which original papers, relating to personal experiences during the war, are read by members, and a copy of each, after publication by the society, placed in the archives. A cabinet of trophies and other articles connected with the history of the war is owned by the society, and a library has been begun. Wm. F. Hutchinson, M. D., sec'y.
SOLDIERS' AND SAILORS' MONUMENT, Exchange Place, erected by the State to the memory of the officers and men who fell in the War of the Rebellion. A statue of America (America militant), 10 feet high, stands upon a pedestal 32 feet above the ground. The figure rests upon a sword, and with the right hand extends a wreath of laurels. In the left she holds a wreath of immortelles. Below, upon projecting abutments at each corner, stand statues representing the infantry, cavalry, artillery, and naval service. On the panels of the abutments is the 'roll of honor', and between the projections are bas-reliefs typifying War, Victory, Peace, and History. The platform of the base is reached by a flight of five steps, broken at each corner by pedestals bearing mortars and mortar-balls. The statues, tablets, etc., are of bronze. The monument is of granite, and stands in a small grass-plat enclosed by a handsome fence of granite and iron. Dedicated Sept. 16, 1871. Cost, $60,000. Sculptor, Randolph Rogers, who had the designs cast in Munich.
SONS OF JONADAB is a national secret temp. org., with two 'Councils' in Providence, - the Washington No. 2, and the South Providence, No. 3. The members take an 'iron-clad' oath for life not to use any liquors whatever. A member once breaking his oath is expelled without recourse. It is a flourishing org. in the Southern States.
SOPHIA-LITTLE TEMPORARY HOME, Broad near Eddy St., provides a temporary home for women discharged from the penal institutions of the State. It receives women who show a desire for reformation, and affords a shelter from all vicious influences until an opportunity is presented for starting afresh upon a better path of life. The work of the house is done by the inmates, who also maintain a laundry. The temporary character of the Home renders it dependent almost wholly upon donations for support. It was opened May 6, 1881, occupies a brick building formerly a hotel, and is managed by The Prisoners's Aid Ass'n (which see). The Home is the result of the untiring efforts of Mrs. Sophia Little, in whose honor it has been named.
SOUTH MAIN STREET. -- See Main Street.
SOUTH PROVIDENCE designates that portion of the Ninth Ward lying bet. Broad St. and the harbor. Formerly in the town of Cranston, it was annexed to the city, together with Elmwood, in 1868. It is chiefly a place of residence. Field's Point is in the extreme south-eastern part of the district.
SQUANTUM CLUB, incorporated March 13, 1872, composed of Rhode Island gentlemen, is an ass'n for culture and recreation. Its capital stock is not to exceed $15,000, to be divided into shares of $100 each. It owns a club-house and other buildings at Squantum, a rocky promontory almost opposite Field's Point, about ten miles below the city, on the eastern shore of Narragansett Bay. The buildings are gayly painted, and with the ruggedness of the natural surroundings present a very picturesque appearance to the traveller on the bay. The club originated with a number of Rhode Islanders, who were wont to enjoy an old-fashioned clam-bake among the rocks at Squantum. And now during the season clam-bakes are indulged in about once a week; and on Saturdays in the middle of the months, ladies are invited. Only stockholders are entitled to the privileges of the club. Invited guests are paid for by those who invite them. Many distinguished people have been the guests of the club; among them was President Arthur in his visit to the city in Oct. 1882. Shubael H. Cady is pres't, and F. M. Burroughs is sec'y.
SQUAW HOLLOW is the name given to a district bet. Orms and Martin Sts. and adjacent to Bull-dog Hill. It was formerly inhabited almost wholly by negroes and a low class of white people. The introduction of a horse-car route in this section of the city, and the building of a better class of dwellings in the vicinity, are fast changing the character of the locality.
STAGES. -- See Omnibuses and Stages.
STAMPERS HILL is a bluff W. of Stampers St., and derives its name, according to tradition, from an event which occurred soon after the settlement of Providence. A body of Indians were seen approaching the town with evidently hostile intentions. Some of the townspeople, by running and stamping on this hill, produced the impression that a large force was stationed there, whereupon the enemy retired without making an attack. Previous to the burning of the town by the Indians in 1676, this hill was fortified.
STATE FARM, THE, in the town of Cranston, 6 miles from Providence, 421 acres in extent, was purchased in 1869. The buildings upon it comprise a State house of correction, State work-house, State asylum for the incurable insane, and a State almshouse. These are ornamental structures of stone, supplied with water and gas, and well adapted to their respective requirements. Reached by the Pawtuxet Valley branch of the N. Y., Prov., & Boston R. R.
STATE HOUSE, on the site of the Old Colony House (burnt in 1758), occupies an entire sq. bet. Benefit and North Main Sts. It was built in 1762, and is a plain two-story building of painted brick with stone facings, surmounted by a belfry. It was used as both Court and State House until 1877, when the Courts were removed to the new house on College St. In 1881 the interior was remodelled and handsomely fitted up. The first floor contains the Hall of Representatives; the second, the Senate Chamber, office of the sec'y of state, State library, and governor's room. Among interesting relics of the past, may be seen here a collection of battle-flags, 24 State flags, 35 guidons, and 2 Revolutionary standards, representing all the military organizations of the State, excepting the Ninth and Tenth Infantry regiments. Portraits in oil of ex-governors and other notables adorn the rooms. In the Sec'y of State's room is a portrait of Washington by Gilbert Stuart; here also may be seen the 'Gaspee' commission, the State Charter of 1663, - in force until 1842, - and the deed of the State House lot.
STATE NORMAL SCHOOL, THE, was opened Sept. 6, 1871, at 265 High St., near Dean. On the removal of the High School in 1878 to its present building, the Normal School took possession of the old High School building on Benefit St., bet. Angell and Waterman Sts. It is a training school for teachers, and requires examinations from all candidates for admission, excepting High School graduates. J. C. Greenough, A.M., is the principal.
STATE OFFICERS, 1882 - 83. --
STATE PRISON. -- See Prison.
STATE REFORM SCHOOL, THE, Tockwotton St., cor. East, as the name implies, is a school of reformation, where minors sentenced by the courts, together with those intrusted to it by parents or guardians, are instructed in virtue and morality, the common branches of learning, and some useful kind of labor. There are two buildings: the main building of brick, painted white, with a fine portico on two sides in the Doric style, and containing the dormitories, chapel, library, dining-room, etc.; and a brick structure in the rear, used as a workshop. The buildings (with the exception of the workshop) were formerly the Tockwotton Hotel. The property was purchased by the city in 1850, and held by it until July 1, 1880, when it was transferred to the State. The inmates average 190 (170 boys and 20 girls), and the system of management is known as the 'congregate'. Visitors admitted from 9 A.M. to 4 P.M. Governor-st. H. C. In the winter of 1882, the Reform School will be removed to a site near the other State institutions in Cranston, where two cottages for the boys, one for the girls, a workshop, and a superintendent's house, all of stone have been erected at an expense of about $110,000. Here the 'open' or family system will probably be adopted.
STATISTICS OF PROVIDENCE. -- Valuation (personal), $30,208.300. Valuation (real), $88,987,900. City tax for 1882, $1,728,345. Receipts in 1881, $2,030,832. Expenditures in 1881, $2,080,002. Dexter Donation, assessor's valuation of real estate, $528,982. Dexter Donation Fund, $70,437.88. No. of street-lamps (gas and fluid), 4,380. No. of births in 1881, 2,806. No. of marriages, 1,202. No. of deaths in 1881, 2,145. See Population.
STATUE OF FRANKLIN, A, of bronze, and life size, ornaments the Lyceum Building. It is interesting as the first public statue in Rhode Island, and was unveiled Nov. 19, 1858.
For Philadelphia, Charleston, and the South. -- Clyde Lines, office, 12 Westminster St. Sail from Fall River. Goods sent by Providence, Warren, and Bristol R. R.
For Norfolk and Baltimore. -- Providence, Norfolk, and Baltimore S. S. Line. Leave Lonsdale Wharf, India St., semi-weekly. (Freight and passengers.) E. H. Rockwell, agent.
For Philadelphia. -- Winsor's Line. Leaves Ives Wharf, India St., semi-weekly. (Freight only.) G. A. Kilton, agent.
For New York. -- Providence and Stonington S. S. Co. Ticket office, 5 Weybosset St. Providence Line. Leave Fox-Point Wharf, foot of South Water St., daily (Sundays excepted). Freight in winter; passengers and freight in summer. Z. Williams, agent. Stonington Line. Passengers leave New York, Providence, and Boston R. R. depot daily (Sundays excepted); connecting at Stonington with steamers. J. B. Gardiner, agent.
For Fall River and Bristol. -- Fall River & Providence Steamboat Line leave Fall River Iron-Works Wharf, opp 71 South Water St., daily (Sundays excepted). T. H. Brownell, agent.
Steamer 'Wm. Marvel', a small propeller, carries freight twice a week to Fall River.
For Newport and Rocky Point. -- Continental Steamboat Co. Leave Wharf, 136 Dyer St. daily (Sundays excepted). In summer frequent trips are made daily bet. these points; and steamers run hourly to Field's Point, Ocean Cottage, Silver Spring, Riverside, and Bullock's Point. N. F. Hallett, sup't.
For Block Island. -- Steamer 'Geo. W. Danielson' leaves Crawford-st. Bridge semi-weekly in winter, and leaves Newport daily in summer. Connecting with steamers of Continental Steamboat Co.
For Block Island. -- Steamer 'Canonicus' leaves Fall River Iron-Works Wharf, opp 71 South Water St., semi-weekly in summer.
STONE & CARPENTER have been the architects and builders of many of the finest buildings in the State. These buildings, by reason of their number and variety, show for themselves the versatile talent, ripened experience, and excellent judgment of the members of the firm; which is composed of Alfred Stone, who came as an architect to Providence in 1864, and Charles E. Carpenter, who became associated with him in 1873. Among their many buildings may be mentioned the following: Public Buildings: -- Rhode Island State Prison, Providence County Court House, Brown University Slater Hall, Thayer-st. Schoolhouse, Hope-Reservoir Pumping-Station, Pettaconsett Pumping-Station, and the David Duncan Wing of the Butler Hospital. Manufactories. -- Crompton Company's at Crompton, Coventry Company's at Anthony, Owen's Jewelry Man'f'y at Providence. Hotels. -- Hotel Dorrance and Franklin-st. House. Business Blocks. -- Wheaton & Anthony; Macullar, Parker, & Co.; Elizabeth Building; Amasa Mason Block; Barnaby Building; Congdon, Carpenter & Co.'s warehouse; Owen Building; Wood's Building; Cheapside; Tefft Block. Of Dwellings the firm have a great number; notably those of Henry W. Gardiner on Waterman St., Mrs. Esther H. Baker on Hope St., Walter Richmond on Waterman St., F. W. Goddard on George St., J. B. Barnaby on Broadway, Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside on Benefit St., Benjamin F. Thurston on Waterman St., Samuel R. Dorrance on Prospect St., Walter J. Comstock on Parkis Av., Amos D. Lockwood on Waterman St.; and of Blocks of Dwellings they were architects of St. Stephen's Row on George St., Mason Block on Aborn St., and Knowles Block on Greene St. Two of their small unique structures are the Kindergarten on Angell St., and Passenger-Shelter at Roger Williams Park. The above list of structures designed and built by Stone & Carpenter suffices to show their prominence as architects; but it is by no means an catalogue of their work, merely an indication of their successful industry during the past twenty years. They have been progressive all the time, constantly keeping pace with all worthy improvements. The passenger-elevator now in such common use, they introduced into this city, by putting one into the Wheaton & Anthony Building, 65 Westminster St., where they have had their office since 1872.
STREET-LIGHTING. -- Gas is used for illuminating purposes throughout the city, and also for the main thoroughfares in the remote districts. Upon the less-frequented streets of these districts, naphtha lamps are employed. There are nearly 4,400 lights in use in the city, a little over a third of which are fluid. The system of lamp-lighting is regulated by the moon, whose light is utilized as much as possible. This brings the time of lighting and extinguishing the lamps at different hours, except when the moon is invisible. If the sky be clouded on full-moon nights, a flag displayed from the staff on Prospect Terrace is the signal to light. By an arrangement with the R. I. Electric Light Co., a six-months test is being made of the electric light; ten arc lamps being distributed for this purpose upon the lower portion of Westminster St., and on Market Square.
STREETS. -- There are over 1,000 streets in Providence, most of them well paved and lighted. The principal business streets are Westminster, Weybosset, High, Broad, North Main St., and a part of South Main St. Custom House St. presents a fine array of solid commercial blocks. Dorrance is a fine, broad street. On the East Side, Benefit, Hope, Cooke, and their intersecting streets contain many beautiful private residences. On the West Side, Elmwood, parts of Cranston, High, and Washington Sts., and Broadway are very attractive. In the Tenth Ward, on Chalkstone Av., and Smith St., are some fine estates. Many of the streets have curious names, some of Indian origin. Some of special interst are mentioned elsewhere. A noticeable feature is their cleanliness. Under direction of the Board Of Public Works, the main thoroughfares are swept and washed, and nearly all the streets are kept in good condition. They are generally narrow, and rather irregularly laid out; some, too, are quite crooked. The chief streets in the centre of the city radiate from Market Sq.
SUBURBS. -- See Cranston, East Providence, Johnston, North Providence, and Pawtucket.
SUFFRAGE. -- Foreign-born citizens are required by the constitution of Rhode Island to be possessed of real estate taxed for at least $134, to entitle them to vote. Native-born citizens who are not taxed for $1.34, of either real or personal property, cannot vote in any town or city, on any question involving the expenditure of the money or the imposition of a tax, nor in the city of Providence for members of the city council. Such native-born citizens, if they wish to vote, are required to register their names with the city or town clerk on or before the last day of December, in the year next preceding the time of voting, and to pay $1 as a registry-tax. An organization known as the Equal Rights Association, having for its objects the repeal of the property qualifications, and the procuring of equal rights for all men in a political sense, was formed in the spring of 1881, and, with this end in view, has since then carried on an agitation by means of public meetings, addresses, petitions to the General Assembly, etc. The main organization is in Providence, and there are branches in Pawtucket, Newport, and several of the towns. The membership is not large, and the movement appears to meet with but little favor.
SUPERINTENDENT OF HEALTH is the advisory and executive officer of the Board of Health. It is his duty to investigate and report upon nuisances and all other matters connected with the public health. He is also quarantine health-officer for the city. Dr. Edwin M. Snow has filled the position of city registrar (of births, marriages, and deaths) for the past 27 years.
SWAN-POINT CEMETERY. -- See Cemeteries.
SYMPHONY SOCIETY, THE PROVIDENCE, org. in 1880, is composed of local amateur and professional musicians. It meets weekly for rehearsals; and, during the season, gives three subscription concerts when the orchestra is increased by outside talent, bringing the number of performances up to sixty. Robert Bonner is musical director and conductor.
ProJo Local News