King's Pocket-book of Providence, RI
from "King's Pocket-book of Providence, R.I." Moses King, Cambridge, Mass., 1882 Tibbitts, Shaw & Co., Providence, RI
The interesting and most important public features of the City of Providence, Rhode Island, in 1882
KING'S POCKET-BOOK OF PROVIDENCE - P
Copyright, 1882, by Moses King.
PARK GARDEN, Broad St., is a carefully planned summer garden, several acres in extent, and well laid out in lawns, lakes, paths, etc. The grounds contain a pavilion for theatrical and other entertainments, summer-houses, and other buildings, chiefly in the Japanese style. In the evening, the electric light, hundreds of gas-jets, and pyrotechnic displays furnish brilliant illuminations. 'Pinafore' on the lake made a decided hit in 1879. In the season the grounds are open afternoons and evenings. Horse-cars marked 'Park Garden' start from Market Sq.
PARKS. -- Providence needs perhaps, fewer large public parks and breathing-spaces than any city of its size in the Union. For, situated as it is upon a number of steep hills and gentle slopes, nearly all parts ore open to the influence of the salt breezes from the harbor and bay; while in the very heart of the town the large body of water called the Cove, with the regular ebb and flow of its tide, is thought to contribute materially to the general health. In addition to these natural advantages, few houses in Providence are built in blocks; a large majority of the dwellings being detached, and surrounded with more or less ground. The freedom and fresh air which this mode of building insures go far to compensate for the limited number and small size of parks in the city, though several of these are not unworthy of notice. Providence may, however, soon be presented by one of its citizens, Henry T. Beckwith, with about 30 acres in the N. part of the city, bordering upon North St. and East Av., to be used as a public park, commemorative of the valuable services rendered the State by the French troops during 1780-81, when they encamped here under the brave commander-in-chief, Count de Rochambeau. Of the three names proposed for this valuable and appropriate gift, - French, Layfayette, or Rochambeau Park, - the last is the most approved. The obstacle in the way of Providence getting this park is made apparent in the following note (Oct. 11, 1882) from Mr. Beckwith to the editor of this book: --
'I have fully intended to give the 30 acres mentioned for a public park, but now don't know whether I shall or not. The people are so foolish as to talk of filling the Cove (which you also mention in the enclosed proof), and devoting it to railroad purposes, mainly freight-yards. I want to add to the public grounds the city has; but if any is to be destroyed I shall not furnish a substitute for it, so must wait and see. I am very sorry that it is so. No other city would have such ideas. Park Rochambeau we have called my land, as being a more euphonious expression that Rochambeau Park, and it is also according to the French idiom. The city owns 37 acres land at Field Point, at the entrance of the harbor, being the quarantine station. There is nothing to prevent that being made a park if they are so disposed. Abbott Park and the two that dignified with the names of Washington and Franklin are very small pieces of ground. Resp'y yours, H. T. Beckwith.'
PAWTUCKET: at the falls on Blackstone's or Pawtucket River, 'which river is called in Indian Pautuck (which signifies a fall) because there the fresh water falls into the salt water'. -- J. Hammond Trumbull.
PAWTUCKET is an important manufacturing town, on the Blackstone River, about 5 miles from Providence. The manufacture of cotton cloth, yarns, and thread, and many kinds of machinery, are the chief industries. The Boston and Providence and the Providence and Worcester railroads pass through the place. The population in 1880 was over 19,000. An attempt in 1882 to incorporate it as a city was unsuccessful. Pawtucket is practically a part of Providence, and Central Falls in the town of Lincoln is practically a part of Pawtucket.
PAWTUXET is a small village at the mouth of the Pawtuxet River, about 5 miles from Providence. It is mainly a place of residence for Providence people, and is reached from the city by the horse-cars. A settlement was made here in 1638, two years after Roger Williams settled at Providence, by four men from Providence; and the place has had since then a distinct existence.
PAWTUXET RIVER rises in the north-western part of the State , and empties into Narragansett Bay. It is the source of the city's water-supply. For 3 1/2 miles from the village of Pawtuxet to the Pettaconsett pumping-station, it is a great resort in summer for boating-parties. Some of the scenery is extremely picturesque.
PAWTUXET WATER is furnished to the city at the rate of about 3,700,000 gallons per day. The average cost to consumers is 3 cts per 100 gallons. Besides Providence, several suburban towns are supplied with this water.
PEACE SOCIETY, THE RHODE ISLAND, org'd in 1818 and incorp'd in 1825, is interesting as the oldest peace-society in the country. It has been active and influential, has been represented at most of the large peace conventions that have been held on both sides of the ocean, and has repeatedly exerted its influence by various means for the establishment of an international congress. Amos Perry, sec'y.
PEOPLE'S COFFEE-HOUSE. -- See Women's Christian Temperance Union.
PETTACONSETT PUMPING-STATION is on the Pawtuxet River, in the town of Cranston, about 6 miles from Providence City Hall. The erection of the works here was begun in April, 1870. A temporary engine-house on the bank of the river, containing a 'Worthington Duplex' engine with pumping capacity of 5,000,000 gallons a day, was first built, and still continues in use. The permanent engine-house - a beautiful structure of brick and stone, with a standpipe rising above the roof for a height of 186 ft. - was built in 1873, and holds a Cornish engine. Beneath this house a bed of quicksand of great depth was found; and the motion of the engine has caused the standpipe to settle to such an extent that in the autumn of 1879 it became necessary to drive 40 piles, about 25 ft. in length and 10 in. in diameter, under and around the pump, and also around the standpipe. After this work, which occupied about 2 months, the engine was again started Nov. 22, 1879; and although it worked better than before the repair was made, the capacity of 9,000,000 gallons, first intended could not be attained, and it soon became evident that new machinery must be substituted. This fact was set forth by Mayor Hayward in his address in Jan., 1881. To meet this want a contract was made June 7, 1881, with the Hon. Geo. H. Corliss, to furnish one of his engines; and soon afterwards preparations for its erection were begun. This engine, which is housed on the river-bank almost in the rear of the Cornish engine-house, when tested May 22 to 27, 1882, pumped at the rate of 9,000,000 gallons in 24 hours, and even higher at times, and proved very satisfactory in every respect. It consumed far less fuel than the Cornish engine for the same amount of work done, and in various other ways was more effective. A test of the Cornish engine, made in the beginning of 1882, showed that it pumped but a little over 6,000,000 gallons per 24 hours; which unfavorable result is to be attributed partly, at least, to the settling of the pumping well in 1879.
PHARMACEUTICAL ASS'N, THE RHODE ISLAND, established in 1874, has for its object the diffusion of scientific knowledge among pharmacists and others. It encourages the system of apprenticeship now in vogue in the State. Any registered pharmacist or assistant registered pharmacist, active or retired, may become a member. Initiation fee, $3 annual tax, $2. Chas. A. Gladding, sec'y.
PHILIP, or Metacomet, son of Massasoit, the chief of the Pokanokets, was one of the most troublesome Indians in the early days of R. I., and carried on the 'King Philip's War'.
PHILLIPS & CO., THOMAS, is the oldest, most prominent, and most successful house in its line in the State. The business was established in 1804 by Josiah Keene, who conducted it until 1830, when he was succeeded by Calder & Phillips, whose successors in 1853 were the present firm of Thomas Phillips & Co. Although new departments have been added from time to time, the successive firms have always ranked prominent among their competitors in each of the several departments. The business now comprises the manufacturing of lead pipe and plumbers' supplies, and also of all kinds of copper work and brass findings. In copper work the firm have important specialties, such as drying-machinery, boiling-worms, slasher cylinders, vacuum-pans, and other apparatus used in print-works, bleacheries, sugar-refineries, etc. In connection with manufacturing and extensively dealing in lead pipe, sheet lead, tin pipe, pig lead, solder, sheet and bolt copper, and plumbers' supplies, the firm do the greatest amount of local plumbing work for factories, places of business, and residences. Moreover, they rank as eminent sanitary and hydraulic engineers, and in this department have accomplished many noteworthy undertakings particularly so in Boston's palatial Hotel Vendome, and Providence's magnificent Narragansett Hotel, for both of which they supplied all the plumbing and ventilating apparatus. In supplying apparatus for mills and factories the firm show great ingenuity in contriving innumerable different devices for copper and brass apparatus which various industries require. In this department the firm's patrons are scattered throughout America, Cuba, and the West Indies. The buildings in which is carried on this industry make no imposing appearance. They are old and of wood, but they are thoroughly equipped with approved machinery and appliances. They occupy the whole of the block on the west side of South Main St., Nos. 73 to 85 inclusive, extending from Mark Lane to Crawford St. They are two stories high above the basement, and have a frontage of 80 feet, and an average depth of about 70 feet. There are nearly 125 employees, among whom are quite a number who have been employed upwards of twenty consecutive years. Although the style of the firm has remained unchanged for the past thirty years, the sole manager during the past fifteen years has been George R. Phillips, who is recognized as a philanthropic and patriotic citizen. He is a son of Thomas Phillips, and a native of Providence. In many noteworthy local enterprises of recent times he has taken a foremost and an active interest. In public life, too, he has held various local offices of trust, bestowing on all of them his utmost fidelity, although at the same time occupied with the minute details of his own large and intricate business, of which he is in reality the actual head, and with which he has been connected ever since 1848.
PLACES OF AMUSEMENT. -- See Amateur Dramatic Hall, Base-Ball Grounds, Infantry Skating-Rink, Low's Opera House, Music Hall, Narragansett Trotting Park, Park Garden, Providence Opera House, Providence Roller-Skating-Rink, Sans Souci Garden, Theatre Comique.
POINT-ST. BRIDGE is a fine iron structure, with a steam draw, which spans the Providence River at a distance of about half a mile below Great Bridge. It is 548 ft. long, was opened to traffic Oct. 22, 1872, and has cost for construction alone over $150,000.
POINT-ST. GRAMMAR SCHOOL, cor. of Point and Plain Sts, is a building of fine proportions, with basement of rough Westerly granite, walls of pressed brick trimmed with Frear stone, and cornices, dormer windows, etc., of galvanized iron. The interior arrangements are most commodious and complete, particular attention having been given to ventilation and hygiene; and it is believed that this schoolhouse is surpassed by none of similar grade in the country. Its total cost was $135,000.
POLICE ASSOCIATION, The Providence, incorp'd 1870, furnishes pecuniary aid to disabled officers, amounting to $1 a day before their pay is cut off by the city, and $2 a day afterwards; pays $200 upon the death of the wife of a member, and $700 upon the death of a member, the sums to meet which are procured by assessment and from the treasury fund. Excursions in summer, and entertainments in winter are given to accumulate funds for the ass'n. The membership includes nearly the entire police-force.
POLICE-DEPARTMENT. -- The executive officer is the Chief of Police, elected annually by the city council. All other superior officers are recommended by the chief, appointed by the mayor, and approved by the board of aldermen. The patrolmen are appointed by the chief, and confirmed by the board of aldermen. The 185 patrolmen, including 10 horsemen, are directly controlled by 6 captains, 6 lieutenants, and 7 sergeants. Other superior officers are, a deputy chief and a clerk of police. Detailed officers are 2 detectives, 2 warrant-officers, a property clerk, and a sup't of hacks. There are 6 districts in the city, each having its own station-house to which a certain number of patrolmen report. The number of arrests in 1881 was 7,714. Of these, 5,177 were for drunkenness. The total cost of the dep't in 1880-81 was $186,890.66. The appropriation for 1882-83 is $200,000.
POLICE-STATIONS. -- Chief of Police, City Hall. Police Ambulance at Station 1. The six district stations are situated as follows:
POPULATION. -- The first census, taken in 1708, showed a population of 1,446. In 1730, 3,916 names were enrolled; in 1748, 3,452; 1755, 3,159; 1774, 4,321; 1776, 4,355; 1782, 4,310; 1790, 6,380; 1800, 7,614; 1810, 10,071; 1820, 11,767; 1830, 16,836; 1840, 23,172; 1850, 41,513; 1860, 50,666; 1865, 54,595; 1870, 68,904; 1875, 100,675; 1880, 104,857. Of the population of 1880 there were 48,311 of American parentage, 56,546 of foreign parentage, 76,885 of American nativity, 27,972 of foreign nativity. There 101,211 white, and 3,646 colored inhabitants. The estimated population in 1881 was 112,000, and in 1882 is 116,000.
POST-OFFICE. See Custom-House.
PRESIDENT HAYES'S VISIT TO PROVIDENCE. -- The Hoppin Mansion, N. E. cor. Benefit and John Sts., was the scene of President Hayes's reception during the visit to the city in connection with the meetings of the Grand Army of the Republic, June 26-28, 1877.
PRISONERS' AID ASSOCIATION (incorp. 1874) is composed of ladies and gentlemen aiming (1) to aid discharged prisoners in such way and by such means as will enable them to gain an honest and reputable livelihood; and (2) to adopt such measures as shall seem conducive to the prevention of crime. A Ladies' Auxilary Society (The Woman's Society for aiding released Female Prisoners), formed in Jan., 1881, under whose auspices was established the Sophia Little Home (which see), was merged in the ass'n at the annual meeting. The following officers of the Auxilary Society were then chosen as the officers of the consolidated org. for the ensuing year: Honorary Prest., Mrs. Sophia L. Little; Prest., Mrs. Francis W. Goddard; Vice-Prests., Mrs. J. K. Barney, Mrs. F. K. Howland, Mrs. Louis J. Doyle, Mrs. Andrew Comstock; Sec., Miss J. W. Bucklin; Treas., Miss A. De F. Lockwood; Asst. Treas., Miss Mary E. Arnold.
PRISON, THE NEW STATE, in the town of Cranston, was completed in 1878. It is a handsome edifice constructed of blue-stone, (taken from grounds belonging to the State institutions) with granite trimmings. The prison consists of a central building and two wings connected with the keeper's house in front, and with the mess-room, kitchen, and hospital in the rear, by means of two iron bridges. The cells, 252 in number, occupy the middle of each wing. In the rear is the prison-yard with an area of 240,000 sq. ft.; enclosed by a wall 20 ft. in height, at each corner of which is a granite sentry tower. Within the yard is a two story workshop. Cost of erection, about $450,000. The architects were Stone & Carpenter. Reached by Pawtucket Valley Branch of New York, Providence and Boston Railroad.
PRISON, THE OLD STATE, Gaspee St., N. of the Cove, is a massive granite structure, two stories in height, completed in 1838 at a cost of $51,500, or an average of about $1,300 per cell. In 1839 the county jail, a smaller and more compact building, was added, adjoining the keeper's house on the E. The unhealthiness and inadequacy of both buildings, constant sources of complaint almost from the first, were the causes which led to the erection of the new State Prison in Cranston, whither the prisoners were transferred in 1878.
PRO-CATHEDRAL, on Broad St., bet. Claverick and Foster Sts., is a large wooden structure, built for the temporary use of the Society of the Church of SS. Peter and Paul, while the new Cathedral is in process of erection.
PROSPECT HILL is the name applied to the broad, steep slope, on the East Side, rising from North and South Main Sts., and comprised within the limits of Olney and Transit Sts. It attains its greatest height of 190 feet near the cor. of Prospect and Meeting Sts., from which a fine view of the West Side of the city is obtained.
PROSPECT TERRACE, Congdon St., East Side, was presented to the city by citizens of Ward II in 1869. Half-way up the hillside, it commands a fine view of the north, south, and western portion of the city. A small fountain, also the gift of citizens, adorns the spot. Area, 12,000 sq. feet.
PROTECTIVE DEPARTMENT. -- See Fire-Department.
PROVIDENCE is situated on Providence River, at the head of Narragansett Bay. It is a port of entry, one of the two capitals of Rhode Island, and the seat of justice for Providence County. It is the second city in size in New England, and the first in Rhode Island. Its latitude is 41° 49' 22" N.; longitude, 71° 24' 48" W. Its area comprises about 16 sq. miles, distributed among ten wards nearly as follows: the East Side, Wards I., II., and III., 3.11 sq. miles; the West Side, Wards IV., V., VI., VII., VIII., and IX., 5.81 sq. miles; and the north-western part, Ward X., upwards of 6 sq. miles. The extreme length, from north to south, is about 5 1/4 miles; and the extreme breadth from east to west, about 4 3/5 miles. By a census taken in 1875 (population at the time 100,675), of the 13,275 dwellings enumerated, all but 351 were of wood. The average number of persons to each dwelling was 7.58, and to each family, 4.55. The tax assessor's valuation of real ($88,987,900) and personal ($30,208,500) property was in 1882 $110,196,200, the rate of taxation $14.50 per $1,000, and the amount of taxation $1,626,825. The funded city debt according to the last report was $9,806,188, which is partly offset by a sinking fund amounting to $1,397,558. The city's floating debt on Sept. 30, 1881, was $294,410, and the city's treasury balance at the same time was $323,189. The gross funded water debt is $5,500,000, with a sinking fund of $119,457; the net water debt being $5,380,542; while the net cost of the water-works to Sept. 30, 1881, was $6,101,268. The city directory for 1882, on the fiftieth anniversary of the incorporation of Providence as a city, makes an interesting statistical exhibit from which it is seen that in fifty years the population of Providence has increased 100,000. In the last Directory there are 43,523 names, showing an increase of 2,147 over the preceeding year, and indicating a present population of fully 116,000. Providence and vicinity is one of the most extensive manufacturing districts in the United States; the products are of great variety, and rank well in all the markets of the world. The homes of the people, and the suburbs on every side, always draw forth the praises of visitors. The public institutions are maintained on generous principles, and the public buildings are noteworthy for their architecture. The social, charitable, educational, and religious interests are all sedulously and carefully provided for; and the prosperity of the city, in its many details, is at present surpassed by no city in the country. See A Batch of Historical Notes.
PROVIDENCE ASSOCIATION FOR BAPTIST CHURCHES was formed in 1843, of churches formerly in the Warren Association. The churches in Providence belonging to this association, are the Fourth, Jefferson-st., Stewart-st., Cranston-st., and Roger Williams (Wanskuck). The total membership of these churches, by report of 1882, was 1,592. The number of churches in the ass'n is 16. See Warren Association.
PROVIDENCE ASSOCIATION OF FIREMEN, incorporated in 1829, comprises all the members of the fire department. It was formed 'for the purpose of mutual aid and assistance under the calamities to which their public duties may expose them.' Fifty cents a year secures to each member, if disabled in the performance of his duty, a weekly allowance of $9.00 beside payment of all medical charges.
PROVIDENCE ASSOCIATION OF MECHANICS AND MANUFACTURERS (meets quarterly, 54 North Main St.) was formed in 1789 to promote home manufacturers, to cement the mechanic interest, and to raise a fund for supporting the distressed. Until 1825 the business meetings were generally held in the State House. After various removals, it located at Bank Building, on Weybosset St. In 1821 it established a library, and later a reading-room for use of its members and their apprentices. The volumes collected, upwards of 6,000, were transferred in 1877 to the Providence Public Library.
PROVIDENCE DISPENSARY. -- See Dispensaries.
PROVIDENCE INSTITUTION FOR SAVINGS, 76 South Main St., incorp. in 1819, is the oldest savings bank in the State. It occupies a handsome granite building.
PROVIDENCE NATIONAL BANK, 70 South Main St., incorp. Oct., 1791, is the oldest banking-institution in the State.
PROVIDENCE OPERA HOUSE, adjoining the Narragansett Hotel on Dorrance St., cor. of Pine, is a cosey and well-constructed theatre, 111 ft. long, 83 ft. wide, with a stage 45 by 75 ft. It has 2 galleries, with a total seating capacity of 1,500. It is of brick with a modest exterior. It has 3 exits, one on Dorrance, one on Pine, and the other on Eddy St., thus affording ample facilities for a speedy clearing of the house in case of need. It was opened under the management of Wm. H. Henderson, now of the Standard Theatre in New York. It was dedicated Nov. 4, 1871, by a Stock Co. in 'Fashion'. The co. was withdrawn in 1876, but the house has ever since been the headquarters for leading combinations. Three years ago Geo. Hackett became lessee and manager. The treas. is F. A. Hackett.
PROVIDENCE PLANTATIONS. -- See Rhode Island.
PROVIDENCE PUBLIC LIBRARY occupies the ground floor of the large brick building built for Mowry & Goff's school, on Snow St., bet. Washington and Westminster Sts. It is open daily (except Sundays and holidays) from 10 A.M. to 9 P.M. It is now in its fifth year, having been opened to the public Feb. 4, 1878, in the Butler Exchange, and removed to its present commodious quarters in the summer of 1880. The vigorous growth of the institution appears destined to overcome in time the surprising backwardness which left a city of this size without a public library until 1878. Several interesting features of this institution may be mentioned here. First, its management is in the hands of an incorp'd body of trustees, who represent gifts to the library in sums of $10,000 or more, received from Joseph A. Barker, the late Mrs. Anna Richmond, Wm. S. Slater, Alexander Duncan, Joseph R. Brown, Moses B. Lockwood, and others. The management is independent of the city government, although the library is conducted wholly for the free use of all the people of all ages (over 14 years) and races. It is strange, therefore, that the city has never contributed any aid to its support, -- particularly so, as such noteworthy precedents have been established in Boston, Cincinnati, Chicago, St. Louis, and many other cities, and more so because a statute of the State of Rhode Island makes it possible for such support to be given whenever the necessary steps shall be taken. Second, a feature of this library is its attempt to render definite and specific assistance to readers. With this in view, it has planned its various catalogues, and arranged for special methods of furnishing to readers the information which is available on current and standard topics. For instance, the library, from its first opening to the public, has posted a daily manuscript bulletin of references to some topics of current interest. Naturally these bulletins have grown, step by step, into, (1) a longer list copied by the hektograph; (2) a weekly printed list in the daily papers, and (3) a regularly issued monthly periodical, the 'Monthly Reference Lists', - the latter having a subscription-list of over 250 names. A large part of these are in Providence, but some are in nearly every State in the Union, and one each in Canada, England, and Germany. This institution, although it its infancy, has made its influence widely felt, and well deserves a hearty support from the public. The present number of volumes (Aug. 1, 1882) is 20,567, besides about 2,000 pamphlets. 384,624 books have been drawn from the library since the opening. The number of readers is now 18,803, 10,260 of whom have registered since Aug. 1, 1878. The library force comprises a librarian, an assistant librarian, and four clerks. The annual reports of the librarian, William E. Foster, contain full information concerning the working of the library, with very complete statistical tables. Four of these have been issued, the last one being for the year ending Dec. 31, 1881. Other information about the library will be found in 'The Library Journal', vol 3, pp. 25, 26; vol. 4, pp. 57, 169, 447, 448; vol. 5, pp. 151, 204, 205, 326, 327; vol. 6, pp. 164, 165.
PROVIDENCE RIVER issues from the Cove, and enters the harbor at Fox Point, one mile from Great Bridge. It increases in width gradually from 100 to 900 ft., and, owing to the sewage which enters it, is usually of a muddy hue. It is crossed by seven bridges in Providence. Extensive dredging operations in 1881-82 have secured a channel 17 ft. deep at mean low water, extending from Crawford-st. Bridge to Fox Point.
PROVIDENCE ROLLER-SKATING RINK, Aborn, near Fountain St., built in 1879, is said to be one of the best in the country. It occupies a wooden building, 210 ft. long and 101 ft. wide. Excepting the suitable ante-rooms, offices, etc., at one end, all this space is taken up by a large hall, with galleries on two sides, and in the centre a rink 145 by 73 ft. Open from 10 to 12 A.M., 2.30 to 5 and 8 to 10.30 P.M. Broadway or Mt. Pleasant H. C.
PROVIDENCE TEMPERANCE CADETS, a literary and military org. composed of Catholic young men, which has been in existence 11 years. Meets at 114 High St. Pres't, Jas. J. Murray; sec'y, John L. Lindsay.
PROVIDENCE WASHINGTON INSURANCE CO. is the oldest joint-stock fire and marine ins. co. in New England, and the sixth oldest in the world. It is the largest in Rhode Island, the second being the Equitable Fire and Marine (noticed elsewhere). Its gross assets, including its paid-up capital of $400,000, amount to about $900,000. It is doing the largest and most extended business; its income of over three-quarters of a million dollars coming chiefly from premiums received by upwards of 300 agents scattered throughout the United States. The Co.'s charter was granted in 1799, when the insurance business, although in its primitive state, was seen as to be of such necessity to the commercial world that very liberal privileges were granted. The offices of the Co. are at No. 20 Market Sq., in the 'What Cheer Building', owned by the What Cheer corporation in which this Co. is a large stockholder. The Providence Washington has had only four prests., since its incorporation 83 years ago. The first was Richard Jackson, father of Gov. Jackson; the second, Sullivan Dorr; and the third, John Kingsbury, who served till his death in 1874. The following year the Newport Fire and Marine Ins. Co. was consolidated with the Providence Washington; and J. H. De Wolf was elected prest. J. B. Branch is sec'y, and George E. Bixby ass't sec'y. The directors are chiefly men who have a wide-spread reputation for prominence in various industries, and include Wm. S. Slater, Resolved Waterman, Rowland Hazard, J. H. De Wolf, Wm. Grosvenor, jun., Chas. E. Paine, F. W. Carpenter, R. I. Gammell, E. Philip Mason, John S. Palmer, Daniel Day.
PROVIDENCE WORSTED-MILLS, owned by Charles Fletcher, are probably the largest of thier class in America. The buildings are all of brick, well constructed and admirably arranged, and cover three acres on Valley St. They are almost all new, the oldest having been erected in 1875, and are supplied with both steam and water power. The machinery is extremely interesting, and much of it is to be seen nowhere else in this country. It was imported chiefly from England, Scotland, and France, by Mr. Fletcher, who has devoted a lifetime to the study of this one industry; sixteen years having been spent in it in the city of Providence, where he has earned a well-deserved reputation for business capacity, industry and integrity. His mills are models in their line. He gives employment to 600 persons, who are occupied wholly in making worsted, mohair, and genappe yarns, in white, mixed, and fancy colors, made up on bobbins or dresser-spools, and in skeins. All work necessary to make the finest yarn out of the wool as it is clipped from the sheep, is done on these premises. This necessitates sorting, scouring and drying, carding and preparing, combing, drawing, twisting, reeling and spooling, finishing and binding, coloring and bleaching. The various processes are well worth seeing, and the cleanliness of the several departments is worthy of imitation by other manufacturers.
PROVIDENCE YACHT-CLUB, org'd in 1875. -- See Yacht-Club.
ProJo Local News