King's Pocket-book of Providence, RI
from "King's Pocket-book of Providence, R.I." Moses King, Cambridge, Mass., 1882 Tibbitts, Shaw & Co., Providence, RI
The interesting and most important public features of the City of Providence, Rhode Island, in 1882
KING'S POCKET-BOOK OF PROVIDENCE - H
Copyright, 1882, by Moses King.
HACK-FARES. -- [Established by ordinance, Jan. 1, 1875.] For each passenger within the city, not exceeding one mile, 50 cents. For each additional mile, or fraction of a mile, 25 cents. Children from four to twelve years of age, if more than one, or accompanied by an adult, half price. Under four years of age, free.
By the hour: For the first hour, $2; each subsequent hour, $1.50.
All distances shall be computed by straight lines on the map of the city; and each owner or driver having charge of such hackney carriage shall, at all times when using the same, have a copy of said map in said carriage, which shall be exhibited when demanded.
Baggage: One trunk and one valise, saddlebag, portmanteau, bundle, or other article used in travelling, free. Every additional trunk or other article above named, ten cents.
HALLS. -- The chief public halls are, Amateur Dramatic, S. Main, cor. Power St.; Bassett, 491 High St.; Carroll, 281 High St.; Cheapside, 28 N. Main St.; Conservatory, 1 Aborn St.; Eddy's, 373 High St.; Fletcher's, 173 Westminster St.; Freedom, 101 Eddy St.; Haggai, 41 Weybosset St.; Harmony, 70 Weybosset St.; Howard, 137 Westminster St.; Infantry, 116 S. Main St.; Lester, 116 Cranston St.; Lyceum, 62 Westminster St.; Masonic, What Cheer Building, Market Sq.; Moshassuck, 70 Weybosset St; Music, 276 Westminster St.; Odd Fellows', 97 Weybosset St.; Phenix, 129 Westminster St.; Pythian, 150 Westminster St.; Slade, Washington, cor. Eddy St.; Temperance, 225 Westminster St.; Temperance, Eddy St., cor. Potter's Ave.
HARBOR, THE, extends from Fox and India Points to Field's Point, a distance of about 2 3-4 miles. From shore to shore it measures from a quarter to three-quarters of a mile; bet. the 'harbor lines' its greatest breadth is 1-2 mile. Two railroad coal-piers over 1,000 ft. long, project from either shore. 'Green-Jacket' shoal, bet. Fox and India Points, takes its name from the eel-grass which grows upon it. It is a source of much annoyance to the extensive shipping-interests at those points, and efforts are being made to secure its removal.
HARRIS-CORLISS ENGINE WORKS is one of the many local industries which have given to Providence its pre-eminence as a manufacturing city; the engine made here being now in use by great manufacturing establishments in almost every State in the Union. The works are extremely neat in appearance, and are situated on Promenade St., at the cor. of Park St., about 6 min. walk W. of the Union Depot. Employment is given here to upwards of 300 hands; and the machinery and appliances in use are surpassed by few works of its class in the world. The chief specialty is the making of steam-engines of any size from 10 to 1,000 horse-power. It is impossible in this limited space to give a description of the various shops or to give an idea of the many advantages of the Harris-Corliss engine, but a catalogue giving views of the engine, and embodying enthusiastic testimonials from leading firms using the engines, is sent free on application. It is well known that the engine has achieved an international reputation, and performs its work with the greatest economy. A writer has said, 'The Harris-Corliss engine is not of mushroom growth, nor has its perfection been the labor of a day; and to Mr. Harris belongs the credit of having advanced the standard of excellence of the representative automatic cut-off engine. Inbued with the true spirit of progress, he has retained all that was superior in the Corliss engine, and by his fertile resources rectified every known defect, and as a result produced an engine that has no successful rival.' The inventor and sole manufacturer of the Harris-Corliss engine is Wm. A. Harris, who has lived in Providence for the past 36 years, and has been engaged in this industry for nearly 27 years.
HARUGARI. -- See German Secret Societies.
HAYES VISIT. -- See President Hayes's visit.
HEALTH OF PROVIDENCE, The. -- Providence, as shown by the death-rate in proportion to population, is a remarkably healthy city. Estimating the number of inhabitants to be 112,000, the mortality of 1881 was in the proportion of 19.12 per thousand, or one in every 52.21 inhabitants. This, as compared with other large cities where accurate records are kept, is considerably better than the average.
HIGH SCHOOL, The, a massive brick building, with stone trimmings, of much architectural beauty, cor. of Summer and Pond Sts., cost with the land about $200,000, and was dedicated in 1878. There are nine schoolrooms in use, with accommodations for 630 pupils. Three rooms, accommodating 270 pupils, are in reserve. A hall in the third story, 64 by 108 ft., will seat about 1,400 persons. William R. Walker, architect.
HOME FOR AGED MEN, 64 Point St., established in 1874, occupies a building with accomodation for but twelve, the present number of inmates. It is supported chiefly by yearly subscriptions and donations. It has a building-fund, and a lot of land on Elmwood Av., donated by the late Joseph J. Cooke under certain conditions, upon which it hopes to erect a 'Home' at an early date. The inmates must be indigent men of American birth, of correct habits, at least 60 years of age, residents of the city for 10 years next preceding their application for admission, and for whom the sum of $125 has been paid. Visitors admitted daily, except Sunday. Eddy-st. H. C.
HOME FOR AGED WOMEN, Tockwotton St., opp. State Reform School, is in a delightful situation, overlooking the harbor and bay. It was founded in 1856, and received inmates in a building formerly standing upon the site of the present handsome brick edifice, which was completed in November, 1864. It is supported mainly by donations, collections, and from the income of an invested fund. Inmates are received upon conditions similar to those imposed by the Home for Aged Men, except that the entrance-fee is $150, and the minimum age 65. Number of inmates, 42. Visitors admitted daily, except Sunday. Governor-st. H. C.
HOMEOPATHIC DISPENSARY. -- See Dispensary.
HOMEOPATHIC HOSPITAL. -- A fund of $9,000 or $10,000 for the erection of a hospital in some part of the city, where patients may receive homeopathic treatment, has been raised through the efforts of the Ladies' Homeopathic Aid Asso'n, org'd in 1874. A very successful State Festival, the proceeds of which were added to the fund, was given by this ass'n in January last. The ladies, aided by the Rhode Island Homeopathic Society, also maintain a Homeopathic Dispensary.
HOPE CLUB, incorporated in 1876, occupies a handsomely furnished and well-situated house at 292 Benefit St. It is a purely social organization of a some-what exclusive character, and includes among its members, about 125 in number, prominent manufacturers, bankers, lawyers, and other influential citizens. The initiation-fee is $100, annual dues $50. Visitors admitted only on invitation of members.
HOPE RESERVOIR (E. side), bounded by Thayer, Olney, Brown and Barnes Sts., covers an area of nearly eighteen acres, and has a capacity of some 75,000,000 gals. On Olney St. is the high-service engine-house, a fine modern Gothic brick edifice, containing two engines, -- a Corliss engine, and one designed by A. F. Nagle, and built by the Prov. Engine Co., with a pumping capacity of about 5,000,000 gals. a day each. Broad flights of steps lead to a paved walk upon the embankment extending around the reservoir. The path is made safe by railings, and affords a delightful view. Brook-st. H. C.
HOPKINS HOUSE, No. 9 Hopkins St., near Market Sq., was the residence of Stephen Hopkins, a signer of the Declaration of Independence; nine years governor of Rhode Island, chief justice, and holder of other public offices. The house formerly stood at the foot of Hopkins St.; and, when removed to its present location, the side facing S. Main St., was turned towards the former st. Gen. Washington passed a night here in 1775.
HOPPIN MANSION. -- See President Hayes's Visit.
HORSE-CARS. -- Market Sq. is the horse-car centre of Providence. The passenger station of the Union Railroad Co., the only local horse-railroad corporation, is on Great Bridge, adjacent to the sq. Here are the waiting-rooms, the ticket and business offices. This Co. was incorporated in 1865, and is a union of several companies. The length of track operated is about 41 miles; the number of cars owned is 200; the number of stables, 8, accommodating 1,000 horses, required for the use of the company. Conductors are paid $2.25 a day, and advanced after two years' service to $2.50 a day; and driver $2.00 a day, advanced after two years' service to $2.25 a day. The conductors when on duty wear a blue uniform, the drivers a gray. Fares within the city limits are 6 cts. for adults, and 3 cts. for children; to Pawtucket 10 cts., and to Pawtuxet 12 cts. Tickets at 5 cts. each are sold in packages of not less than 20 on the cars, and in packages of not less than 5 at the Company's ticket-office. The list of the various routes is fully shown on the next page.
[note: Routes/schedule from pages 56 - 57 will be reproduced at a later date]
HOTEL DORRANCE, 155 Westminster St., is a well-kept hotel, on the American plan. Rates, $2.50 to $4.00 per day; 120 rooms. The building is of brick with terra-cotta trimmings, and was erected in 1878-79.
HOTELS. -- From the opening of the simple tavern in Olney's Lane, kept by Joseph Olney, to the completion of the luxurious Narragansett Hotel, kept by Chapin & Robinson, a long period of time has elapsed; but the advance in the comforts offered has more than kept abreast of other improvements. It is not the province of this work to furnish the history of the hotels which have had their day; all that can be done is to enumerate the more prominent hotels of the present time, and then describe the most magnificent hotel -- the Narragansett -- which has made Providence famous among the cities of the world having unusually noteworthy hotels. There are about thirty hotels in Providence, besides innumerable boarding houses. Leading hotels are the:
For a detailed description of the Narragansett Hotel, see heading Narragansett Hotel.
'HOUSE OF THREE ONES', is a local name for the fire-engine station, Exchange Pl., occupied by Hose Co. No. 1, Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1, and Protective Co., No. 1.
ProJo Local News